Big Data Brief Description
Is the collection of data sets so large and complex that it becomes difficult to process and store using a conventional database management approach. The challenges include data capture, storage, classification, search, retrieval, filtering, transformation, sharing, analysis, and visualization. The trend to larger data sets is due to the need for more complex data correlation where multiple sets of data need to be analyzed together to derive more accurate information. Data sets continue to grow in size as a result of ubiquitous information-sensing and gathering devices, mobile, social media, transactional systems sustained growth, and the need for longer data retention windows to support audit and a wide array of behavioral and trend analysis.
The Technical Writer will be creating and maintaining documentation around complex client-facing software applications. This documentation should allow users to quickly access the information they want and research topics more deeply, if needed. We will specifically need longer form product documentation (manuals), shorter form documentation (guides), searchable on-line help, and error/validation messages that display in our applications.
This is a service-oriented role. You will be working collaboratively with a talented team of software developers, testers, marketing, sales, and product owners to develop and deliver technical documentation targeted to serve clients, as well as technology partners and ourselves.
Your day-to-day activities will vary widely based on the state of the organization’s priorities and needs at that point in time. As such, you must be comfortable with ambiguity in your role. You must be able to operate in a relaxed, yet confident manner, without explicit hierarchy and structure governing your work. An affinity towards, and appreciation of, an influence-based culture is critical for success (versus an authority-based/positional-based culture).
- Collaborate with development teams and product owners to extract relevant information and organize that information into easy to read/understand user documentation.
- Outline product definitions by determining logical chunks of application functionality in a manner that facilitates product management discussions and legal / contractual discussions.
- Create a disciplined and centralized approach to delivering support documentation that provides consistent language and presentation styles across various applications.
- Find creative and unique ways to present information.
- Create documentation that will help with external training of clients (resulting in fewer calls to our help desk). This includes working with teams to put together learning materials, e-learning modules, demos, video media, and other training materials.
- Assist in generation of useful marketing material (web content, product announcements, marketing specifications, etc).
- Accommodate the ever-changing needs and wants of developers, product owners, and clients.
- Write and maintain software release notes.
- Education – BS or BA degree, Major or minor in Computer Science
- At least 7 years experience as a Technical Writer
- Experience in a software development environment
- Proven ability to create documentation in short cycles and to work on several projects simultaneously
- Excellent intuition as to how to design and implement documented help to non-technical users
- Clear communication and presentation skills
- Excellent procedural and persuasive technical writing skills
- Ability to clarify technical jargon
- Some web design / graphic design experience would be beneficial
- Ability to work well independently
- Excellent attention to detail
- The ability to learn new technologies, software, and concepts quickly is essential
For more information or consideration please contact firstname.lastname@example.org